The PGA TOUR Champions has named the Principal Charity Classic as 2016 Tournament of the Year, presenting the annual Des Moines event with its coveted “President’s Award.” The PGA TOUR bestowed the honor Wednesday, December 7, during its annual meetings in Las Vegas. Principal is the title sponsor of the Principal Charity Classic.
“We thank the PGA TOUR not only for this award, but for the opportunity over the last 10 years to sponsor an event that gives so much back to our community— especially our children,” said Beth Brady, senior vice president and chief marketing officer at Principal®. “And, it’s very meaningful to receive this honor during global volunteer week, a time when many of our 15,000 employees around the world are themselves giving back in their communities.”
The President’s Award is the highest tournament honor awarded by the PGA TOUR Champions annually and recognizes overall excellence, as well as the intangibles that make a tournament stand out among many successful events. This year marks the first time the Principal Charity Classic has been chosen to receive the President’s Award.
“The Principal Charity Classic has left a significant charitable footprint as well as an estimated $23 million annual economic impact on the greater Des Moines region,” said Iowa Governor Terry Branstad. “That matters to this state. It’s companies like Principal, as well as the volunteers, spectators and local businesses that step up every year, that make this tournament possible and keep our state moving forward.”
Principal celebrated the 10th Anniversary of its title sponsorship in 2016, which marked the tournament’s most successful year to date.
- Attracted a record 83,389 spectators to Wakonda Club during 2016 tournament week.
- Donated a record $2,053,725 to Iowa children’s charities, including six regional Tournament Charity Partners and more than 100 statewide charity organizations through the tournament’s Birdies For Charity program.
- Inspired increased engagement, with the tournament’s record 2016 donation representing a 46% increase over the previous year; the Principal Charity Classic’s all-time charitable giving total now stands at nearly $10 million in 10 years.
- Introduced the MidAmerican Energy “Green Canyon” on holes 16 and 17 at Wakonda Club as a fan enhancement, designed to provide continuous content via LED ribbon boards and ease of access to food, drink and merchandise.
- And also finished as one of the top nominees for the PGA TOUR Champions 2016 “Players Award” as voted on by the Player Advisory Council.
Scott McCarron claimed his first career PGA TOUR Champions victory at the 2016 Principal Charity Classic with a one-shot victory over Miguel Ángel Jiménez and Billy Andrade. McCarron would go on to win the Dominion Charity Classic in November and add two runner-up finishes during the year to wind up at No. 4 in the final Charles Schwab Cup standings.
The 2017 Principal Charity Classic will be played June 6-11 at Wakonda Club in Des Moines. To purchase your tickets, click here.