Unique opportunity to participate in award-winning PGA TOUR Champions event; positions available on a first-come, first-served basis
DES MOINES – The Principal Charity Classic, the annual PGA TOUR Champions event in Des Moines, today opened its 2017 online volunteer registration. This year’s tournament will take place June 6-11 at historic Wakonda Club.
The Principal Charity Classic was recently named the PGA TOUR Champions 2016 Tournament of the Year and has raised nearly $10 million to benefit Iowa children’s charities since 2007. The tournament is sponsored by Principal and presented by Wells Fargo.
“Approximately 1,200 volunteers help bring the Principal Charity Classic to life each year, and we couldn’t do it without their loyal and energetic support,” said Loralyn Werkmeister, Volunteer Coordinator for the Principal Charity Classic. “Our volunteers truly believe in the tournament and its charitable mission.
“In 2016, we had volunteers join us from 14 different states and Canada, ranging in age from 13 to 90. We’re looking forward to welcoming many of them back – as well as some new faces – for a great experience at our 2017 tournament.”
Becoming a volunteer
Both returning and new volunteers are required complete the online registration form at www.principalcharityclassic.com. Volunteers are asked to work a minimum of two (2) shifts during the championship, which range from 4-6 hours each, and to make a donation in support of Iowa children’s charities when registering.
Volunteer committee assignments ranging from on-course marshals, standard bearers and TV spotters to merchandise volunteers, shuttle drivers, Pro-Am operations and more. A full list of volunteer committee opportunities can be viewed at www.principalcharityclassic.com and are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Individual assignments will be announced beginning in early April.
All 2017 volunteers will receive the following in exchange for their generous donation to support the tournament’s charitable mission:
- Free admission for tournament week
- Five (5) Good-Any-One-Day tournament tickets to share with family, friends, etc.
- Meals on days of service
- An invitation to the Volunteer Appreciation Party on June 5
- The official volunteer uniform (one golf polo, one rain-resistant golf jacket and a hat or visor)
- A one-time 25% off merchandise discount
- A preferred parking pass
There are also a limited number of junior volunteer opportunities available for individuals age 13-18 during tournament week. The junior package includes a volunteer polo and hat or visor, free admission for the week, meals on days of service and five (5) Good-Any-One-Day tickets to share with family and friends. Juniors interested in volunteering should use the registration code junior.
The Principal Charity Classic also offers a variety of unique incentives to reward volunteers:
- Win free golf at members-only Wakonda Club. For each new volunteer that a returning volunteer recruits in 2017, they will earn one entry into a drawing for a twosome of golf at Wakonda Club. To participate, returning volunteers should simply ask their recruits to list their name in the “referred by” box when completing the online volunteer registration.
- Register before March 6 to be entered to win an Honorary Observer experience. The winner will receive the opportunity to walk with PGA TOUR Champions players during tournament play. The winner’s name will be announced to the gallery as they are photographed with their PGA TOUR Champions threesome on the first tee. Players will then autograph the photo at the conclusion of the round as a special keepsake.
- Register before April 3 to be entered to win an invitation to the 2017 Pairings Party. Volunteers who register by this date will be entered to win an invitation for themselves and a guest to attend the invitation-only Pairings Party celebration, which kicks off tournament week. Guests will enjoy complimentary food and beverage with tournament sponsors, Pro-Am participants, PGA TOUR Champions players, key Des Moines executives and other special guests.
- Register by May 1 to be entered to win a set of Champions Club tickets for the 2017 tournament. The Champions Club provides two premier locations to watch the tournament action. Two outdoor locations on the 16th and 17th greens provide covered seating with a luncheon buffet – beer, wine and soda included.
For complete incentive details and more information, visit www.principalcharityclassic.com/volunteer.
About the Principal Charity Classic
The Principal Charity Classic presented by Wells Fargo is an annual PGA TOUR Champions event focused on philanthropic giving. This premier golf event raises contributions for the tournament’s “FORE Our Kids” charities, including: 1) Tournament Charity Partners, select organizations that provide a broad level of support to children of Iowa in the areas of education and culture, financial security and stability, and/or health and wellness. These organizations are supported through net proceeds of the tournament; and 2) Birdies for Charity Partners, which includes more than 100 additional children’s charities across Iowa that receive support through individual pledges and contributions made prior to and during the tournament.
The 2017 Principal Charity Classic tournament will be played June 6-11, 2017, at Wakonda Club in Des Moines, Iowa. For more information on the charities and the tournament, visit principalcharityclassic.com and follow via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
About PGA TOUR Champions
PGA TOUR Champions is a membership organization of golf’s most recognizable and accomplished players, age 50 and older, including 33 members of the World Golf Hall of Fame. The Tour’s mission is to provide financial opportunities for its players, entertain and inspire its fans, deliver substantial value to its partners, create outlets for volunteers to give back and generate significant charitable and economic impact in tournament communities. In 2017, the PGA TOUR Champions schedule includes 26 tournaments in 18 states, Japan, Wales and Canada, with purses totaling more than $55 million. The Charles Schwab Cup, which includes the Regular Season and the Charles Schwab Cup Playoffs, is used to determine the season-long champion. All events are televised in the United States, with most receiving complete coverage on Golf Channel, the exclusive cable-television partner of PGA TOUR Champions. Internationally, telecasts air live, tape-delayed or in a highlights-package format in excess of 206 countries and territories, reaching more than 145 million households. The PGA TOUR’s website is PGATOUR.COM, the No. 1 site in golf, and the organization is headquartered in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. Follow PGA TOUR Champions at facebook.com/PGATOURChampions, on Twitter @ChampionsTour and on Instagram @pgatourchampions.