The Principal Charity Classic presented by Well Fargo has opened online volunteer registration for its highly anticipated 2016 event, which will take place May 31-June 5 at Wakonda Club in Des Moines as Principal Financial Group celebrates its 10th Anniversary as title sponsor. An annual PGA TOUR Champions event, the Principal Charity Classic has contributed more than $7.7 million for various children’s charities in Iowa over the past nine years.
To register, both returning and new volunteers should complete the online registration form at www.principalcharityclassic.com. Volunteers are asked to work two (2) shifts during the championship, which range from 4-6 hours each, and to make a donation in support of the participating tournament charities when registering.
“Every year, more than a thousand dedicated and passionate volunteers help ensure the success of The Principal Charity Classic,” said Loralyn Werkmeister, Volunteer Coordinator for the Principal Charity Classic. “Many of our tournament volunteers return year after year, traveling from across the state and country to serve on their favorite committees, and the championship would not be possible without them. We are so appreciative of their incredible support and have some exciting new incentives to share with them this year.”
Approximately 1,250 volunteers are needed for the 2016 tournament, with volunteer committee assignments ranging from on-course marshals, standard bearers and TV spotters to merchandise volunteers, shuttle drivers, Pro-Am operations and more. A full list of volunteer committee opportunities can be viewed at www.principalcharityclassic.com and are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Individual assignments will be announced beginning March 30.
All 2016 volunteers will receive the following in exchange for their generous donation to support the tournament’s charitable mission:
• Free admission for tournament week
• Five (5) good-any-one-day tickets to share with family, friends, etc.
• Meals on days of service
• An invitation to the Volunteer Appreciation Party
• The official volunteer uniform (one golf shirt, one rain-resistant golf layering piece and a hat or visor)
• A one-time 25 percent merchandise discount
• A preferred parking pass
Also, there are a limited number of junior volunteer opportunities available for individuals age 13-18 during tournament week. The junior package includes a volunteer polo and hat or visor, free admission for the week, meals on days of service and five (5) good-any-one-day tickets to share with family and friends. Juniors interested in volunteering should use the registration code junior. The junior volunteer donation amount is $50.
New Volunteer Rewards
New for 2016, the Principal Charity Classic is also offering several unique incentives to reward volunteers:
• As a reward for returning volunteers, the tournament is offering a special prize for those who recruit a new volunteer – golf at Wakonda Club! For each new person they recruit, a returning volunteer will receive one entry into a drawing to win a twosome of golf at Wakonda Club, with the top recruiter receiving an additional five entries into the drawing. To participate, returning volunteers should ask recruited volunteers to simply list their name in the “referred by” box of the online volunteer registration.
• Anyone who registers to volunteer by March 3 will be entered to win an Honorary Observer experience. This incredible opportunity will include walking inside the ropes with Champions Tour players during tournament play, having your name announced to the gallery and taking a photo with your Champions Tour threesome on the first tee. The players will all sign the photo at the conclusion of the round, providing a special keepsake.
• Anyone who registers to volunteer by March 24 will be entered to win an invitation for themselves and a guest to attend the invitation only Pairings Party celebration, which kicks off tournament week. Guests will enjoy complimentary food and beverage with tournament sponsors, Pro-Am participants, Champions Tour Players, key Des Moines executives and other special guests as we celebrate another great year of charitable giving to local Iowa children’s charities.
• Anyone who registers to volunteer by April 14 will be entered to win a set of Fareway Club tickets for the tournament. The Fareway Club provides three premier locations to watch the on-course action on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, including two outdoor locations on the 13th and 16th greens featuring covered seating with a luncheon buffet, beer, wine and soda included. A third location inside the clubhouse lets you enjoy the luxury of climate controlled seating, live coverage and food and beverage.
For more information about volunteering at the Principal Charity Classic and to complete the volunteer registration form, visit www.principalcharityclassic.com.